Sunday, July 31, 2011

Training in Weymouth

Hey!

We are getting closer and closer until the first day of the Pre-Olympics. Everything around the sailing venue is changing and getting ready for the upcoming event. We now have credentials that allows only the athletes and staff allowed into the regatta area. The staging areas are set which means every sailor from their given country rig up in the same area as their fellow team mates. I am currently getting USA and American Flags plastered everywhere on my boat.

It's really exciting to be a part of this event. It's pretty much a mach Olympics and as far as I can tell everyone is treating it as though it is the Games.

Lets rewind a little bit. I have been here since the 21st training. The wind has been unusually light which is good because it has given Luther and I the chance to work on some of my main weaknesses. I have been struggling all year in moderate conditions (6-10 knots, choppy waves). Luther and I have made it a main goal to improve in this condition and lately we have been seeing some dramatic changes.

Today I sailed with Sara Winther from NZL. I believe she is one of the fastest girls upwind in these conditions so I was glad to be able to compare my technique. Luther and I have noticed a positive progression and I am happy/proud to say that I was keeping pace with her today. She is very talented and to be able to compete against her in this is very good.

Honestly my days have been very monotonous. Meaning, I wake up, read the forecast, eat breakfast, go sailing, go to the gym, eat dinner, do computer work and sleep. I guess it looks kind of boring, but thats my life and I love it. Hopefully I will see all this hard work pay off in the upcoming event.

I will write later on in the week with all the details on the regatta and my mental/physical readiness and preparation!

PS sorry if my grammar and punctuation is a bit off today. Chris, my trainer has just finished killing me in the gym. My head is not completely here right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment