Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Kieler Woche Conclusion

I set three goals and I accomplished them...

I am proud to say that I just won the Kieler Woche in Kiel, Germany and finished third in the ISAF World Cup. This is the third consecutive year for winning the regatta in Kiel. One of the coolest parts about winning this event is your name gets put up on a wall that shows all of the past winners. It's nice to be apart of history.

I have to say that I really wanted to win the ISAF World Cup this year, but after being ill at the last two events I had to change directions. I am very proud to of put together a good event here to bring my standings back up. It was hard to have two bad events in a row and see my standing drop from 1st to out of the top 5. It was a great learning experience because it taught me to change gears and get going on the new track. 

The regatta was very tough, because we were dealt trying conditions. Big breeze, cold water/temperature, rain, sun, etc. It seems we had it all. This had to of been one of the most fun events that I have sailed in this year. I roomed with my brother Zach and team mate Caleb Paine. We pretty much laughed the whole time. At the beginning the three of us were in complete shock that we were sailing another event. It didn't feel like we had any break. 

I thought that during the event I had great upwind speed/tactics, but I thought my downwinds were lacking. This is something that Luther and I will work on in the upcoming training. I noticed that I was never really in the right place for the oncoming puffs.

Tina Mihelic and Krystal Weir placed 3rd and 2nd in the event. It was very close amongst us three, the German and Belarussian team. I had a blast sailing against them all and noticed things that I need to work on such as my downwinds. I believe many of them are heading off to the Europeans in Helsinki, Finland. So good luck to them all and hopefully Tina can capture her third European title. 

Tomorrow I go home and I am sooooo excited. I can't wait to go back and relax...I'm pretty tired physically and mentally. It's time for a little break......but not from the gym! 

No comments:

Post a Comment